Hi! It's been a very busy summer for our team and we are extremely excited to bring you a highly requested feature: per app daily limits! Below you will find information on how to test and experience this new feature. We've also added a few other touches we feel you'll love.
Got feedback? Just add a comment below or email Justin.
How to access our BETA
Android devices only for now. iOS Parent Mode will be updated soon (we are currently in a back and forth with Apple and it's not looking good for our Child Mode on Apple devices. Stay tuned for more information from us about this...)
How to join our BETA
- Android devices, open Google Play on your parent and child devices and go the Boomerang app listing.
- Scroll down to the bottom and tap on I'm in > Join. It usually takes a few minutes to receive an update via Google Play (In our experience, 5-10 minutes).
- Update Boomerang to the latest available version. Our beta will be version 9.03.
To leave our BETA
- For each family device, go back to our app listing, scroll down to the bottom.
- Tap LEAVE and uninstall current install versions or wait for an update for our production version.
What's New and What To Test?
CHILD MODE MY STATS
We have continued to think about "what's in it for the kids" when it comes to Parental Controls like Boomerang. The trend at the moment is to show "your stats" so that you are aware. So far, we've provided parents great insights in app usage on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. We are introducing a new tabbed child dashboard design that now includes a My Stats tab which lists your child's app usage for the current day.
PER APP DAILY TIMER CONTROLS
Our parent mode adds a fifth option, Daily Timer, under the Manage Apps card. It's very simple to enable a daily timer. Tap on an app > Daily Timer and choose the timer limit (and tap SAVE to send the command to our servers).
This limit will work "within" the daily allocated device screen time. So, if the app runs out of time and there's still time left on the device, it will be blocked! If the device is out of time (or in a time-out) and the app still has time left, it will get blocked too!
Available for Android Parent Mode for this beta and coming soon to iOS Parent Mode.
What else is going on?
We have received enough reports over the summer to know that we are not perfect in a couple of areas and we must optimize.
- This BETA version includes two prototype changes to help with "fast tapping" which allowed some apps to bypass our blocks and we have also added a swipe block to the Notifications area (swiping down from home screen) when time's up so kids cannot reply within notifications (like text messages). Let us know if you see an improvement with this version.
- Still to do: we don't always block apps when time's up - these are typically apps such as Netflix or YouTube and are usually "heavier" on the device in terms of resources. We do not expect any improvements with this version but if you do, please do kindly let us know.
Justin "JP" Payeur, Co-founder, Cyber Safety Influencer and Dad