Google wants to shut down our safe calling & safe texting features; Help Needed!

Follow

Comments

66 comments

• Frauke Koster

I sure hope that Boomerang will be able to function with all of its features, it is a fantastic tool for monitoring my kids phone habits and to make sure they are not communicating with strangers.

• Jason Crabtree

Google should exempt the Boomerang app from the text and call policy. It is for the security of our children. The app's developers are trustworthy and provide a helpful service.

• Jay Holderer

Dear Mr. Google,

Just because you are digital and don't have kids please compute that there are some of us who do!

We, as parents, are comforted by having the right to put these permissions on our children’s’ phones. This is not a conspiracy but good basic parenting. If you care to get out of your digital bubble and investigate it yourself just...I know...Google “Kevin Esterly” and you will get just one sample of why we want to continue to do this.

With all the inappropriate material on children’s phones wouldn't you simply want to be on the right side of this?

Thank you for your consideration.

• BC

BC

Feb 12, 11:58 PST

I am shocked that Google would even consider taking this protection away!  I have a 16 year old daughter who has been bullied and harassed and these protections help keep these predators away from her.  I can see the conversations, block them and report them.  This is one of the few apps that really tries to give parents tools to help their child/children stay safe.  I feel safer knowing my daughter has this app on her phone.  Please Google...leave Boomerang to its business of helping parents protect their children.

Sincerely,
    Brenda C.
  • Qbrisco

I am so thankful I ran across this app! I tried to monitor my daughters phone myself and I was very inconsistent. Now monitoring is a breeze. I truly hope google approves the use of these core permissions because they are vital in ensuring the safety, security, and total monitoring of our children devices.    

• Brian Lowrance

I feel like Google has missed a category of their Permitted Uses and/or Exceptions list.  They did not include a "Parental Controls" use or exception.  Text Message (SMS) and Call data is core to my use of Boomerang.  As a respected IT employee/friend/family I've recommended many parents that are looking into getting their kids phones to purchase an Android phone/tablet and use Boomerang for this specific purpose.  This is an edge that Android and Boomerang have over iPhones/iPads (or other products).  Parental Control apps should absolutely (among many other permissions) be able to review, analyze, alert on, and prevent Text Messaging and Call data. Keywords and analytics can detect and report early warning signs of bullying, self-harm, etc.  I certainly hope that Google will consider this category (Parental Control) and allow us to keep using Boomerang as-is and perhaps even add additional data that can be fed in to assist with detection of early warning signs regarding the well-being of monitored children.

Please sign in to leave a comment.