Most Android devices allow multiple users to use the same device. On child devices using Boomerang Parental Control, this can be used to circumvent our protection by either going into Guest Mode or creating a second user account. Following the steps below will ensure your child cannot switch user accounts.
ℹ️ If your child's Android device is made by Samsung, we already block access to the Guest Mode / Multi-user settings.
ℹ️ On device restart, we have noticed that on some devices (such as the Pixel2 used in this example), the password/pin for the Admin user account is required. This may result in your child needing you to unlock their device.
The following steps were tested on a Pixel2 with Android 10.
Delete the Guest Mode account
- From the top of your child's device Home screen, the lock screen, and many app screens, swipe down with 2 fingers. This opens Quick Settings.
- Tap Switch user .
- Tap Add guest. This will create and switch you to a guest profile on the device.
- Once logged into guest mode, swipe down with 2 fingers again.
- Tap Remove guest and you will be switched back to the main user account.
Swipe down with 2 fingers again, tap the user and confirm that the Add users from lock screen is toggled off.
Password protect the main user account
The main user on the device acts as the Administrator. Once set, when your child tries to switch to this user, it will require the PIN or Password.
- Go to Settings > Security.
- Tap on Screen lock.
- Choose a PIN or password.
Create a new user and install Boomerang here
- Swipe down with 2 fingers from the top of your child's device Home screen This opens Quick Settings.
- Tap Switch user .
- Tap More Settings or Add user.
- Tap Setup up user now and you will be switched to that new user's profile. Follow the setup steps as you normally would.
- Setup your child's (or yours) Google Account.
- Install Boomerang from Google Play and follow our guide here on how to install.
The result of these steps will require your child to know the main user's passcode in order to switch to another user on the device plus there will no longer be a shortcut to switch to Guest Mode.