Most Android devices allow multiple users to use the same device. This multi-user feature can be used to circumvent our device protection by either going into Guest Mode or creating a second user account. Following the steps below will ensure you cannot switch user accounts. The steps below may be performed by you or with your accountability partner.
ℹ️ If your are using our parental control app, Boomerang Parental Control on a Samsung device, we automatically block access to the Guest Mode / Multi-user settings.
ℹ️ On device restart, we have noticed that on some devices (such as the Pixel2 used in this example), the password/pin for the Admin user account is required. This may result in the need to ask your partner to unlock your device.
The following steps were tested on a Pixel2 with Android 10.
Delete the Guest Mode account
- From the top of your device Home screen, swipe down with 2 fingers. This opens Quick Settings.
- Tap Switch user .
- Tap Add guest. This will create and switch you to a guest profile on the device.
- Once logged into guest mode, swipe down with 2 fingers again.
- Tap Remove guest and you will be switched back to the main user account.
Swipe down with 2 fingers again, tap the user and confirm that the Add users from lock screen is toggled off.
Password protect the main user account
The main user on the device acts as the Administrator. If self managing, we recommend you have someone else set a password for this account, this can be your Accountability Partner. Once set, switching user accounts will require the PIN or Password.
- Go to Settings > Security.
- Tap on Screen lock.
- Choose a PIN or password.
Create a new user and install Filter Chrome here
- Swipe down with 2 fingers from the top of your device Home screen (this opens Quick Settings.)
- Tap Switch user .
- Tap More Settings or Add user.
- Tap Setup up user now and you will be switched to that new user's profile. Follow the setup steps as you normally would.
- Setup your Google Account.
- Install Filter Chrome from Google Play.
The result of these steps will make it possible to switch users only if you know the main user account passcode.