Here are a few tips to review when troubleshooting your child's device location not refreshing as expected. Location refresh for both Android and iOS should occur automatically as the device moves as long as it has a strong cellular connection (wi-fi works too but wouldn't provide a consistent refresh of location until the device is connected to a wi-fi connection).
- Make sure the permissions to the GPS are still enabled for Boomerang Parental Control? Go to Settings and search for "app permissions".
- Does your child use the aggressive battery saver setting on their smartphone? This can sometimes turn off the GPS to save additional battery.
- Does your child's device have a good internet connection at all times (data via cellular and wi-fi)? Are there specific times when the refresh is slower?
- Could it be the device is turned off (dead battery)?
Android 10 introduced two Location Permission settings. Make sure to choose Allow all the time or else we will not be able to refresh location in the background or when you request a refresh via Parent Mode or our web dashboard.
Android 10 may also notify your child that Boomerang got your location in the background. If location refresh stop working, please review Boomerang's Location permissions on your child's device
Parent Mode now allows you to cancel a pending Location refresh request and provides a few tips on what to review.
- Review our app's permissions under iOS Settings > Location Services.
- Does your child have a good internet connection at all times (data via cellular and wi-fi)? Are there specific times when the refresh is slower?
- Could it be the device is turned off?
- Is your child receiving the location refresh notifications when you request a refresh from Parent Mode? On iOS, we cannot automatically refresh your child's device location in the background when requested from Parent Mode. iOS requires your child to tap on the notification which opens Boomerang Parental Control and then sends the current device location.